Headline after headline indicate a rise in prescription (Rx) drug abuse among teens – second only to marijuana. In fact, today prescription drugs are abused more than cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and methamphetamine combined. In response to this epidemic, CADCA designed the Rx Abuse Prevention Toolkit: From Awareness to Action. This unique toolkit provides the facts, approaches, strategies and messages that coalitions can use to move communities beyond that first stage of awareness into action.
Created through a grant from King Pharmaceuticals, the toolkit is a result of online research, focus groups and one-on-one interviews. We talked with coalitions about the challenges they face in creating successful initiatives and brainstormed themes, strategies and tools.
CADCA affirmed that in order to move communities from awareness to action, we needed to incorporate a different approach in the writing and collateral development. If our goal was to create a product that coalitions could use to help make environmental changes, we needed to incorporate the logic model and the seven strategies for community change as the Toolkit foundation. As such, the toolkit provides strategies that coalitions can use for each of the seven steps to achieve community change. In addition, the toolkit includes templates, such as sample news releases and op-eds; and step-by-step guidance on how to hold a prescription drug take back program and educational events.
The toolkit also contains an Rx Abuse Fact Book that provides all of the key facts and statistics on prescription drug abuse. This piece can be reprinted and given out at local meetings and events for parents and other concerned citizens. If you’re interested in reprinting the Rx Abuse Fact Book, located within your toolkit, or for other questions, contact CADCA’s Communications Department at: 703-706-0560 ext. 256.
- Using this Toolkit
- Seven Strategies to Affect Community Change Overview
- Targeted Messaging
- Status of State Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs, The National Alliance for Model State Drug Laws
- Opioid Risk Tool (questionnaire to assess risk of opioid addiction)
Facts & Tools
- Rx Abuse Fact Book
- Drug Take-Back Program Tutorial
- Frame Out Your Take-Back Program Worksheet
- Rx Abuse Awareness Day Tutorial
- Goals and Objectives Worksheet
- Partner Worksheet
- Confirm the Big Picture Worksheet
- Promote the Event Worksheet
- Launch the Event Worksheet
- Facilitate Post-Event Activities Worksheet
- Preventing Rx Abuse in Your Community PowerPoint Presentation